Churches


This page is moving, please change your bookmarks. The new page is at www.1familytree.com/genealogy/

This old page content is here for your convienience, but more up-to-date content is available in the redesigned 1familytree.com

Churches

CHURCHES

Churchesoutside the Fox Valley area are listed below.

Churches outside of the United States are listed on a separate web page.

Fox Valley Area Catholic Churches

 For more history and information, go to the Diocese of Green Bay website.

The Diocese of Green Bay Archives has many church records that might be helpful in researching genealogy, since civil records were not required until after 1907.

There are two ways to access the records of the Diocese of Green Bay Archives.

The first is to go in and research the records yourself. They are usually open the last three Tuesdays of the month from 9-12 and 1-4.  An appointment is necessary because of limited readers. Please contact them at 920-437-7531 ext 8187 or 8186 or via email at kmatthies@gbdioc.org or jledoux@gbdioc.org. There is a $5.00 fee for each three hour session for researching at the Archives.

The second way is to write to them (they do accept phone requests) at Archives, Diocese of Green Bay, P.O. Box 23825, Green Bay, WI 54305-3825. They will search for either up to an hour or for the first five records found, whichever comes first. The fee for their research service is $20.00 plus .25 per copy.

 

For a listing of starting dates for church records in Brown, Calumet and Outagamie Counties, the Diocese of Green Bay has generously provided the information shown here on a separate page.

 

 

Chart of church record start dates 


 Appleton

Sacred Heart Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Appleton

222 E. Fremont StreetAppleton, WI 54915-1827 Phone:  (920) 739-3196

 

Email

 

Web

 

Established

 

Parish histories published (?)


 

 

St. Bernadette

2331 E. Lourdes DriveAppleton, WI 54915-3615 Phone:  (920) 739-4157 Web:  www.saint-bernadette.org E-mail:  peichhorst@saint-bernadette.org

 

Established

 

Parish histories published (?)

 


St. Bernard

1617 W. Pine Street< /br>Appleton, WI 54914-5118 < /br>Phone:  (920) 739-0331 < /br>< /br>Web:   www.bernard.fp.execpc.com < /br> E-mail:  stboffice@tds.net

 

Established

 

Parish histories published (?)

 

 


St. Joseph

404 W. Lawrence Street< /br> Appleton, WI 54911-5817 < /br> Phone:  (920) 734-7195 < /br>< /br>Web:  www.saintjosephparish.org < /br> E-mail:  preinl@saintjosephparish.org 

 

Established

 

Parish histories published (?)

 


St. Mary

312 S. State Street< /br>Appleton, WI 54911-5926 < /br>Phone:  (920) 739-5119 < /br>< /br>Web:  www.stmaryparish.org < /br> E-mail:  stmary@stmaryparish.org

 

Established

 

Parish histories published (?)

 


St. Pius X

500 W. Marquette Street< /br> Appleton, WI 54911-1917 < /br> Phone:  (920) 733-0575 < /br>< /br>Web:  www.st-piusx.org

< /br> E-mail:  stpiusx@athenet.net

Established

 

Parish histories published (?)

 


St. Therese

213 E. Wisconsin Ave< /br>Appleton, WI 54911-4819 < /br>Phone:  (920) 733-8568 < /br>< /br>Web:  www.CommunityOfStTherese.4lpi.com

< /br> E-mail:  barb.miller@st.therese.com

 

Established

 

Parish histories published (?)

 


St. Thomas More

1810B N McDonald Street< /br>Appleton, WI 54911-3450 < /br>920-739-7758

< /br>Email                            stmcath@athenet.net

Web page                     www.stmcath.org < /br> 

Established

Parish histories published (?)

 


 

Askeaton

 

St. Patrick Saint Patrick's catholic Church, Askeaton

7815 Saint Pats Church Road< /br> Greenleaf, WI 54126-9611 < /br> Phone:  (920) 532-6665

 

Email

 

Web Page

 

Established about 1856.

 

 

 

Parish histories published (?)

 

In 1887 the parish priest at St. Patrick's made a "pew listing" of the members of his church. I have transcribed that list, which can be found on St. Patrick pew List web page.

 

Prior to about 1900 this church was often referred to as "East Holland" by the local newspapers when reporting on the burial location, vs. "West Holland" which referred to St. Francis at Holland.

 


BRILLION

 

Holy Family

1100 West Ryan Street

Brillion, WI 54110-1074

Phone:  (920) 756-2535

E-mail:  holyfamily@pitnet.net

Web

 

Established     2001

 

Parish histories published (?)


COMBINED LOCKS

 

St. Paul

410 Wallace St.

Combined Locks, WI. 54113-1128

920-788-4553

Email   stpaulcl@aol.com

Web:  www.stpaulcl.com

E-mail:  stpaulcl@aol.co

Established      1923

St. Paul Catholic Church History

St. Paul Catholic Church Cemetery (partial listing)

St. Paul Catholic Church archived records

 


DARBOY

 

Holy Angels

W2796 County Hwy KK

Appleton, WI. 54915-9407

920-733-6214

Email 

Web page

Established 1850

Parish Histories published at 100 years, 125 years, 140 years and in 2002.

Holy Angels Cemetery Burial Listing

 

News -----September 2004- Just a side note for your information...

Holy Angels Catholic Church in Darboy is in the process of merging with Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church in Kimberly.  The new bishop to the Green Bay Diocese is deciding the issue due to priest shortages and the growing community in Darboy needing more space.  Kimberly's Catholic Church is nearly empty and is larger than Darboy's Church which is full to the brim)  The new parish will be called "Holy Spirit," as of January 1, 2005.   Each church building & cemetery will keep it's original name, but the schools have already merged to have a "north" campus in Kimberly and a  "south campus" in Darboy called Holy Spirit School.  So if you're seeing data from our area with this new name...you'll know why.  No doubt you'll begin seeing it within the next year.

 

 

 


FREEDOM

 

St. Nicholas

N4088 Cty Rd E,

Kaukauna, WI. 54130-7592

920-788-1492

Email ssnics@aol.com

Web page

 

 

 

 

 

Established about 1851, though did not have a resident priest until 1860. Prior to 1860 was a missionary church serviced by the priests at St. John's in Little Chute and records dating before 1860 can be found in the St. John's Little Chute Church archives.

 

Parish Histories published at 100 years, 125 years, and 1956-1971.  (I am looking for copies!!!)

 

 

 

Burials in the St. Nicholas Catholic Cemetery can be found by following this link;

St. Nicholas Catholic Cemetery Burials

Or the listing here at 1familytree. St. Nicholas, Freedom Burials."

 

Years

Photo

Pastor

 

1860-1864

  Father Gerald Spierings    O.F.M. Cap.  
1864-1866   Father J Van Luytaar  
1866-1868   Father Anthony J Verberk  
1868-1869   Father William Wilkens  
1869-1870   Father Elzear DeWitt  
1870-1882   Father John Verstegen  
1882-1883   Father Geissler & Father Deurmeyer  
1883-1891   Father Peter J Lochman  
1891-1900   Father Joseph Selbach  
1900-1901   Father John Kaster  
1901-1901   Father A H Huitink  
1901-1916   Father Peter Van Heyster  
1916-1925   Father Francis J Peters  
1926-1950   Father Arnold Van Dyke  
1950-1955   Father Joseph Kools  
1955-1957   Father Raymond W Hietpas  
1957-1976   Father Alfred H Hietpas  
1976-1979   Father John Feeney  
1979-1990   Father Leander Nickel  
1990-   Father Dennis M Ryan  
       

 

The Town of Freedom published "Town of Freedom 1852-2002 Sesquicentennial Anniversary" book in 2005, which includes valuable information on the history of Freedom, including schools, churches and family histories. (All names from the family histories have been added into my database)

The book is available from the town clerk at the Town of Freedom.

 

 


GREENLEAF

 

St. Mary

2212 Day Street

Greenleaf, WI 54126-9200

Phone:   (920)864-2550

E-mail:  parrec@athenet.net

Web Page

Established 1870.

Parish histories published - Just this short paragraph is what was sent as a response to a request for a copy of any parish historical information. Along with the listing of priests, shown here.

St. Mary's Parish History< /br> St. Mary's Parish in Greenleaf was founded in the early 1870's. It was started as a mission to St. John's parish in a Morrison. At the time of the Morrison parish was primarily Irish and the Greenleaf parish was German. The pastor in Morrison at the time of the establishment of St. Mary's was Father James Lane, a native of Ireland. Father Lane served in the parish from 1870 until 1876. He died in January 18th 77 at the age of 31 years. He lies buried in St. Patrick's cemetery in Askeaton. Father Henry Hunck was appointed pastor in 1900 and in 1902 the first school building at St. Mary's was built. The old school was originally a two classroom structure. The present St. Mary's church was built in 1917 during the pastorate of Father Anthony Koeferl. The present school and convent structure was begun on May 14th, 1971 during Father Earl Bouchoud's pastorate. The school and convent were blessed by Bishop Bona on October 29th, 1961. St. Mary's remained at the mission of St. John's in Morrison until St. John's was officially closed on February 13th, 1966. Father Emmet Weber was pastor during this time of transition.

 

Years

 

Pastor

 

1870-1876

 

Rev. James Lane

 

1876-1877

 

Rev. William Herbert

 

1877

 

Rev. Anthony Abb

 

1877-1878

 

Rev. Nicholas Gallweiler

 

1878-1879

 

Rev. Andrew Andolschek

 

1879-1884

 

Rev. John Holzknecht

 

1884-1885

 

Rev. Englebert Blume

 

1885-1886

 

Rev. Conrad Saile

 

1886-1887

 

Rev. Athanasius Buschle

 

1887-1888

 

Rev. Amandus Masschelein

 

1888-1890

 

Rev. Lawrence Spitzberger

 

1891-1895

 

Rev. Peter Van Sustern

 

1895-1896

 

Rev. William De Haan

 

1896-1901

 

Rev. Francis Geier

 

1901-1905

 

Rev. Henry Hunck

 

1908-1912

 

Rev. Peter Nilles

 

1912-1918

 

Rev. Anthony Koeferl

 

1918-1927

 

Rev. Matthias Hauch

 

1927

 

Rev. Frank Schoettl

 

1927-1942

 

Rev. John Murphy

 

1942-1950

 

Rev. John Haen

 

1950

 

Rev. Gerald Van Nuland

 

1950-1957

 

Rev. Francis Helwig

 

1957-1958

 

Rev. Henry Arens

 

1958-1965

 

Rev. Earl Brouchoud

 

1965-1968

 

Rev. Emmet Weber

 

1968-1978

 

Rev. John O'Brien

 

1978-1988

 

Rev. Thomas Stocker

 

1988-

 

Rev. Robert Kabat

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


HOLLANDTOWN

 

St. Francis

433 Cty Rd. CE

Kaukauna, WI. 54130-8964

920-766-1222

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Established 1848.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Histories published in 1903, also 100 years, and at 125 years.

 

Email

Web Page

 

St. Francis Cemetery Listing www.1familytree.com/stfrancis.htm

Some tomb stones from St. Francis Cemetery are shown on the St. Francis tomb stones page.

In 1887 the parish priest, , listed all the members of the families of his parish. A partial list can be found on my St. Francis 1887 Pew List web page.

St. Francis currently (2004) does not have a resident priest and is serviced as a mission church to Holy Cross in Kaukauna. It was a mission church to St. John's in Little Chute in many of it's earliest years.

If you plan to search any of the church records available at the Diocese of Green Bay Archives, it can be helpful to know the priests names and the years that they served at the church.

For a listing of the priests at St. Francis, visit my web page St. Francis Priests.


KAUKAUNA

 

St. Aloysius

2401 Main Ave.

Kaukauna, WI. 54130-3599

920-766-5111

Email st_als@execpc.com

Web page 

http://www.kcssonline.org/St. Al's Parish.htm

Established 1964 (School established in 1962)

Parish Histories published - None have yet been published as of August 2004.


 

Holy Cross

309 Desnoyer St.

Kaukauna, WI. 54130-2103

920-766-3773

Email                          

Web Page                     www.kcssonline.org

 

http://www.kcssonline.org/Holy Cross.htm

Established about 1873

 

Parish Histories published ?

 

Holy Cross Cemetery Burial listing ?

< /br> 


St. Mary of the Annunciation

119 W. 7th St.

Kaukauna, WI. 54130-2356

920-766-1445

Email

Web Page http://www.kcssonline.org/parish/parish%20stmary.htm

 

Established about 1885.

 

Parish Histories published at 40th year.

 


KIMBERLY

 

Holy Name of Jesus

620 E. Kimberly Ave.

Kimberly, WI. 54136-1599

920-788-7640

Email               hnj@athenet.net

Web page        www.holynamekimberly.org

 

Established     1907

 

Parish histories published ( ? )

News September 2004- Just a side note for your information...Holy Angels Catholic Church in Darboy is in the process of merging with Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church in Kimberly.  The new bishop to the Green Bay Diocese is deciding the issue due to priest shortages and the growing community in Darboy needing more space.  Kimberly's Catholic Church is nearly empty and is larger than Darboy's Church which is full to the brim)  The new parish will be called "Holy Spirit," as of January 1, 2005.   Each church building & cemetery will keep it's original name, but the schools have already merged to have a "north" campus in Kimberly and a  "south campus" in Darboy called Holy Spirit School.  So if you're seeing data from our area with this new name...you'll know why.  No doubt you'll begin seeing it within the next year.

 


LITTLE CHUTE

 

St. John Nepomucene

323 S. Pine St.

Little Chute, WI. 54140-1854

920-788-9061

 

 

Email sjs1836@athenet.net

Web page

Parish Histories published at 100 years (1936) and 150 years (1986)

Also see Village of Little Chute 100 year �Century of Progress� published in 1999.

St. John Nepomucene Cemetery listing of burials www.1familytree.com/stjohn.htm

 

 

Parish list of priests and years served. (Partial listing..... the rest Coming Soon!)


SHERWOOD

 

Sacred Heart

PO Box 58< /br> Sherwood, WI 54169-0058 < /br> Phone:  (920) 989-1515

 


ST. JOHN the Baptist

 

 

St. John the Baptist is the name of the church which was built and dedicated in 1862.  At that time the congregation of eighteen families, all of whom were German.  The church was a crude though comfortable structure, being built of logs, and the furnishings were, as may be supposed, well in keeping with the general condition of the structure.  This little community, which was located in St. John's in Calumet County, was at first attended by the pastors at Hollandtown.  The first of these to thus administer to the spiritual wants of these people, was the Rev. Father Luytelaar, who continued to do so from 1861 to 1864.  He was succeeded in these duties by the Rev. B. DeGoey, who continued to visit St. John until 1869.  From the beginning of the latter year until 1870 the pastor serving this congregation was the Rev. Clement Duerr who was resident pastor at Buchanan.  He was the last of the visiting pastors, as in 1870 the Rev. Anthony Leitner was appointed as resident pastor.  He remained at St. John for a couple of years, during which time he managed to build the present church, a nice and spacious structure, in every way more suitable than its predecessor.  From 1872 until 1874 the Rev. Father Lezno administered the pastorate, and from 1874 to 1875 the Rev. John Guenterscheod.  Following him came the Rev J. Jaster, who was succeeded in 1879 by the Rev. Charles Buschle.  He was followed in 1879 by Father I.G. Ritter, who administered the duties of the pastorate until his death in 1896, when the Rev. John Westkamp, present rector of the parish, was appointed.   The congregation of St. John now consists of eighty-three families.  There are three Catholic organizations in the parish, all of which are very active and thoroughly well represented.  One of these, a branch of the Catholic Knights of  Wisconsin, has a membership of thirty-five.  The Altar Society for Married Women, Mmes. Annie Jacobs and Gertrude Pscherra officers, has sixty-three members.  A St. Mary Sodality for Young Ladies, of which Miss Anna Fisch is president, has a membership of fourty-three.  The educational interests in this parish are subserved by two parochial schools, which are in charge of school Sisters of St. Agnes from Fond du Lac.  The number of children now in attendance at these schools averages nearly eighty.   The Rev. John WestKamp, present rector of St. John the Baptist congregation, is a native of Westphalia, Germany, where he was born in 1836.  He was ordained to the priesthood in 1861.  

 

Tombstone photographs from St. John the Baptist cemetery.


WRIGHTSTOWN

 

St. Paul

PO Box 187< /br> Wrightstown, WI 54180-0187 < /br> Phone:  (920) 532-4374 < /br>Religious Ed:  (920) 532-0319 < /br>E-mail:  stpaulwr@netnet.net

Established about 1858. 

 

 

 

You can find a complete listing of Catholic Churches in Calumet County here.

< /hr>

 

Churches outside of the United States are listed on a separate web page.

 

 

Churches outside the Fox Valley area that listed on this website

Detailed information can be found on Donald Schulteis' website - The Omnibus Portal on these churches;

 

Belgium, village (Ozaukee County):

 

St. Mary.  (Ad Angelos) 1851-- (still in use in 1942)

Note:  Organized in 1849 by the Revs. Laufhuber and Gernbauer.  the first chuch destroyed in 1884.  New church built same year.  Prior to 1854 St. Mary was in Washington County.  See (author) Henning, The Catholic Church in Wisconsin, page 368; also (author) Haug, Geschichte der Katholischen Kirche in Wisconsin, page 313.

 

 

 

Cedarburg, (Ozaukee County)

 

St. Francis Borgia

 

 

 

Fredonia, village (Ozaukee County): 

 

St. Rose of Lima.  1860-- (still in use in 1942) 1860-1902, Mater Dolorosa.

1910--, St. Rose of Lima (still in use in 1942)

Note:  Attends as mission* Mother of Sorrow, Kohler, Ozaukee County.  For early history of Mater Dolorosa, see (author) Henning, The Catholic Church in Wisconsin, page 416.

 

 

 

 

Newburg, Ozaukee

 

Holy Trinity


In 1896, Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Newburg appointed Father Bernard Nuttmann as its pastor. < /br> Nuttmann was known as a pastor experienced in building churches. The parish appointed him for a reason.< /br> < /br> According to documents at the Washington County Historical Society, the church at that time, was finished in 1859, and quickly grew small with only 250 seats in the church. By 1896, Newburg had grown to 137 families, far exceeding the size of the church.< /br> < /br> In 1898, the parish created a building committee to explore options for the small church. Its recommendation: Build a new church.< /br> < /br> On Jan. 20, 1898, the church signed a contract with Joseph Hutter Company of Fond du Lac to construct the new church at an unbelievable low price, $11,400. Father Nuttmann was credited with getting the low price because of his experience dealing with building churches.< /br> < /br> The bricks for the new church were to be purchased from Kohler at a price of $5 per 1,000 bricks. More than 273,000 bricks were ordered for the project. To save money on handling fees from Kohler, the parish decided to haul the bricks itself. To entice families to help, the parish had a friendly contest.< /br> < /br> The team with the most bricks hauled from Kohler won cash prizes. First place won $10, second won $5 and third won $2.50. The parish thought this was a great idea as they saved money and got the community involved in the construction of the building.< /br> < /br> Each time a wagon of bricks came to the village, the bell at the old church would ring and the town's people came to see how many bricks were in the load.< /br> < /br> In 1899, the church, which at the time was considered unusually large, was finished. The church was built with wooden altars and Medford Stone - the type of brick.< /br> < /br> The last child baptized in the old, smaller church was Anthony Fara on Sept. 3, 1899. The last couple married was Matthias Michels and Theresa Buffer on April 10, 1899. Sadly, the last funeral at the old church was that of 10-month-old George Redlinger on Sept. 20, 1899, less than a month prior to the official opening of the new church on Oct. 4, 1899.< /br> < /br> The new church seats up to 550 people.< /br> < /br> In 1919, Nuttmann was transferred from the church, and since then, numerous pastors have taken position at the church, including Father Stephen Zohlen from 1919-1922, Father Joseph Bittle from 1932-1950 and currently Father Robert Sampon.< /br> < /br> The church was completely remodeled and refurbished in 1975. No catastrophes such as fire or flood hit the church in its 103-year history.< /br> < /br> The church, at 521 Congress Drive in Newburg, now has approximately 350 parishioners, Sampon said.< /br> < /br> < /br>  

St. Finbar

 

 

 

Port Washington, city (Ozaukee County)

 

St. Ambrosius.  (Lithuanian) 1912- (still in use in 1942)

Note:  Attended as mission* from Immaculate Conception, (Lithuanian), Sheboygan, Sheboygan County

 

St. Mary. 1850-- (still in use in 1942)

Note:  Small frame building erected in 1849.  First resident pastor, Rev. Bradley.  Present church (Gothic) built by Rev. Willmes about 1871.  See (author) Henning, The Catholic Church in Wisconsin, page 506.

 

St. Stephen. 1857-61.

Note:  Actively maintained from 1852-60.  First resident pastor, Rev. Bradley, who also was pastor of St. Mary until 1853.  Rev. Russ Eder succeeded to the pastorate about 1860.  Irish congregation discontinued as separate congregation and joined the Germans at St. Mary.  See (author) Henning, The Catholic Church in Wisconsin, page 506;  Early Catholic Church Prop., sheet 30.

 

Trenton, (Ozaukee)

 

St. Augustine

 

 

 

West Bend

 

Church of the Holy Angels

 

 

 

*A mission is defined as "an established institution, having a parish or congregation, served periodically by a visiting priest and having no resident priest."

 

SOURCE: A Directory of Catholic Churches in Wisconsin, prepared by The Wisconsin Historical Records Survey division of Community Service Programs Work Projects Administration.  Madison, Wisconsin, 1942.

 

 

Name

Location

St. Mary's Ridge Church

 

St. Mary's Ridge, Monroe County, Wisconsin

   
   
   

 

 

 

 

 

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 12.0.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2020.

Maintained by Jay. | Data Protection Policy.

info SEARCH




This search will find all the info on this site that Google has indexed.
It will NOT find everything that is in our genealogy database.
Go to Advanced Search to search the genealogy database.

info HELP


THANK YOU for visiting 1FamilyTree logo 1FAMILYTREE
If you find something of value here, please consider a donation to help cover costs


info FIND

info INFO

infoADS